Sunday, July 22, 2007

Garden updates: pots, propagation, ivy

Milk Jug Planters: Well, I've determined that while the recyclable containers as self watering plants does in fact provide water to the soil, I think the soil is too wet; or at least too wet to grow herbs. But, I must also include that this cannot be considered a definitive experiment since 1) I only planted herbs and 2) because the herbs that I planted directly into the soil haven't really done squat either.

Self Watering Pot: The pot with the petunias in it is doing quite well. I wondered if it too would fear "wet feet" and drown a slow death in its own pot. Seriously, I check the water about once a week and refill.


Propagation: All seems to be going well in the little incubator of a greenhouse thing I have going in front of the garage. There have been only a few leaves dropped by all the different plant types that I have in there. That little purple perennial that I have in the front yard has bloomed twice but now seems to be dying even despite my efforts to give it more life by snipping the blooms. This weekend I'll have to look up what to do with them now since I think they've been in there for at least 3 weeks.


Ivy Wreaths: Both ivy wreaths are quite brown now. The skinny little one I made first with the grapes attached looks pretty rustic with some withered purple and brown berries. I've drug out some artificial plants to decorate with, but haven't gotten around to it just yet.

No comments: