Saturday, May 17, 2008

Pudding Shot Recipe


Want a fun shooter, but Jell-O shots have become almost boring and a full shot of liquor makes you queasy? Try making pudding shots! Basically just use instant pudding but rather than adding all the milk cut it in 1/2 and make the other 1/2 your choice of liquor. One regular size box made 46 1-oz size cups.

We made a bunch of pudding shots for Motown A2H3 1000th, but this was my first time making them myself. I used a simple, can't-go-wrong recipe...

One Box (four 1/2 cup servings) Jell-O Instant Pudding (I used French Vanilla)
1 Cup Milk (this is 1/2 of what the recipe says to use)
1 Cup Liquor (I used O'Mara's Country Irish Cream)
One 8oz tub of Whipped Topping, cold but not frozen (I used Cool Whip brand)

Pour the milk into a bowl and beat for about a minute (no blender? use a whisk. No whisk? use a fork) in the pouch of dry pudding. Once completely blended whisk in the liquor. Stir in the whipped cream until blended, but try not to over work the mixture. An easy way to get the mixture into your cups is to pour it into a gallon size Ziploc baggie, seal the baggie, then cut a very small corner off and squeeze the pudding shot mixture through the hole into the cups; like a pastry bag and remember, you can always cut the hole bigger, but not smaller so cut smart. To get all the mixture out, I use the edge of the counter to work the mixture toward the hole. Snap on the lids and put them in the freezer overnight. Keep them cold when transporting.
Cost: For each batch that makes 46 cups the raw cost would approximately be....
  • Cups & Lids: $1.89
  • Pudding .75
  • Milk .18
  • Cool Whip 1.32
  • Liquor 5.00
So the cost per batch in my case was about $9.14 or approximately 20 cents per shot. Certainly the biggest factor in how much a batch costs to make is the cost of the liquor!
Need to know how I got those figures? I figured out the cost based on bulk purchase complete set of cups a gallon of milk and a bottle of liquor. Obviously there is an initial investment in cups and lids. I can get 1 oz cups in a 250 pack for $4.69 but the lids only come in 100 packs for $1.99 each. So for an even match I'd have to buy 500 cups and lids (2 packs of cups @ 4.69 ea and 5 packs of lids at $1.99 ea). MInd you I did not buy all that at once, but for a cost per complete cup figure we have to have even amounts of both. So... (4.69 * 2) + (1.99 * 5) = 19.33 + 1.16 (6% tax) = $20.49 for 500 complete cups so each cup costs $.04. At Walmart a 4 serving size box of Jell-O Instant Pudding costs $.75, an 8 oz tub of Cool Whip was $1.32 and a Gallon of milk is roughly $3 (I don't do the regular grocery shopping so I really don't know the cost :o). I'm not sure what the cost of the OMara's Irish Cream was, but I'm guessing about $15; Bailey's is probably more like $25 for 750ML. Ok. So If I need a cup of milk that's 1/16th of a jug or about 18 cents per cup. A cup of liquor would be 1/3 of the 750 ML bottle (750ML=3 cups) so the liquor would be maybe $5. If you read all this you're probably thinking I need to get a life! :D

No comments: