Monday, February 19, 2007

Gasparilla 1/2 Marathon is in the bag.


Well, the wind was not too big of a factor which I attribute to circling Davis Island and the horseshoe shape of the O&B Bayshore. Started way too slow with pacer (8:40) then 2nd mile 8:23. Third mile way too fast I think the pacer was trying to make up time to get us back on track (7:53). Held with 3:30 group until that third mile then dropped back down with 3:40 group for a bit, but pulled away as the race went on. Felt really good until the turn on Bayshore where the wind was pretty stiff. Don't know if it was the powering through the wind with only 3 miles to go, but my left quad started to crampy as did my right calf, then my left calf then back to my right. I plodded on, staying focused on a certain PR. I actually thought I'd PR by just a bit more, but that wind kept me down to a steady 8:22 pace at the finish. I felt really good after, best ever after a 1/2 actually. Only thing sore is left quad. I ran the next evening and felt good! Yeah! A new PR of 1:48:55.

What a great week of running, biking and relaxing. I can't say as I did much when people ask, because they always expect to hear... "Oh, we went to Busch Gardens, and the beach, and site seeing, and etc..." Well, I did go to the beach, but just the little on near Jim's place and technically I did site see; I just preferred to do it on foot or by pedal. Anyway, most people would think it was a week of torture, but I had a great time. It was so good to see Jim again too since it's been 2 years since I was last there.

Weekly running: 35.5
Cycling: 33.1
Yearly running total: 258.1

No comments: